Secure Computer and Mobile Devices
We use computers, laptops, tablets and mobile devices to log in to accounts. This makes it important to protect personal information when using these devices.
- Install a form of anti-malware or anti-virus software on your mobile device
- Use the anti-theft options on your device to remotely wipe or lock devices in the event that your device is lost or stolen to prevent others from retrieving your information.
- Use an auto-lock password or PIN so others cannot use your device
- Log out of accounts when not in use
- Avoid saving log in information on your computer.
- Verify the apps you are downloading are from reliable sources
- Avoid clicking on links or apps that may lead to malicious websites or downloads
- Review the application privacy policies to make sure your personal information will not be shared as a result of the app download.
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi networks that are not familiar
- Be cautious of people looking over your shoulder as they might be trying to gather account information.
- Avoid clicking links within emails, especially if needing to log into accounts. Instead, open a browser (such as Internet Explorer or Chrome) and go directly to the site you’re looking to visit
- If you have to click a link, be sure to check the website address before clicking and watch for slight variations of site names
- Do not open attachments that you were not expecting to receive or that look suspicious.